Monday, May 08, 2006

Dead Centre

After a nice overnight flight from Osaka (it was so empty that I had an entire center row to myself!), I arrived yesterday in Cairns and then killed another 6 hours waiting for my flight to Alice Springs.

Alice Spring is in the very center of Australia. It originally was not so much a town as just a telegraph outpost. From the view as we were flying in, honestly I couldn't tell that it had turned into too much more. The view from the plane was pretty cool--the land really is red and dry and flat. There is nothing for miles and miles and miles. As we flew into Alice Springs, I really couldn't figure out where the actual town was. I saw some houses, and not much more. As we descended, I couldn't even figure out where the airport was. We just landed on this big long road and it wasn't until we got off the plane that I actually saw the airport. This is a tiny little town.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what are you going to do there?

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to Oz ... was wondering if you were going direct to NZ ...