Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Flying Fox

I don't know why, but I really like trying strange foods, particularly strange animal. I have more than happily chowed down on kangaroo, crocodile, alligator, zebra, gazelle, eland, ostrich, buffalo, etc. So when I heard that flying fox (fruit bat) was popular in Vanuatu, I couldn't pass it up.


Here's the thing about trying strange animals: most of them have worked out pretty well for me. Alligator was delicious, kangaroo was succulent, zebra was tender and juicy, and eland remains the tastiest meat I have ever had in my entire life. flying fox, however, did not work out so well. It's really dark meat and is very rich, kind of like duck. And perhaps more importantly, the presentation left a little bit to be desired. If I had known that it was going to come out with everything but the wings, I may have stuck to the wild pigeon in mushroom sauce.

No comments: