Monday, April 23, 2007

Any Given Sunday

The Cook Islanders are a very religious bunch, so the only thing to do on Sundays is attend church. They are also a very welcoming people, so all the churches are open to visitors and they make sure to conduct the service in both Cook Island Maori and English.



The service was pleasant, with a lot of beautiful singing. Personally, I really enjoyed checking out the women's beautiful hats, which are very intricately woven with lots of colors and flowers. I didn't get a chance to take a picture, but here's a picture I found online.



After the service, they hosted a reception across the road at one of the local schools. Of course, fresh fruit was in abundance, so I was happy.



And although the graveyard didn't have much to do with our actual church experience, I thought it was really interesting.

No comments: