Sunday, November 25, 2007

Biggest Upset Ever

Having grown up mere blocks from the largest college football stadium in the country, it was impossible for the sport not to have an impact on my life. Fall Saturdays to me mean tailgating, actually watching SportsCenter, and planning my schedule around the traffic patterns.

Imagine my surprise when I got to Stanford and games were pretty much empty. But then I saw how the team plays and... On the upside, in an effort to boost attendance, Stanford gave football tickets free to students this year, so I didn't feel bad leaving a game after, oh, 15 minutes.

Here are a few of my favorite shots from the first few games.

This shot makes the stadium (capacity 50,000) look way more full than it actually was.



Nikki and I love the foam fingers.



The best part of the season was when we ran into one of our professors. (BTW, this picture better represents how "full" the games are).



No, actually the best part of the season was the USC game. I was studying late that night when I got a text message from one of my Umich friends that said "You won!" I had no idea what it meant--I didn't even know Stanford was playing that day. Then another Umich friend called and explained the excitement. Somehow Stanford had managed to beat one of the top ranked teams in the country. Biggest. Upset. Ever.

It almost made up for Michigan's Appalachian State loss earlier this year...

No comments: