Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Mine's Better

Over the break I bought Michigan and Stanford pennants to put up in my classroom. College-going culture, blah, blah, blah, they look cute.

Today in the middle of class when I was giving instructions (when else?), N. pointed to the wall and yelled out, "I'm mad that you have that up there!"
Me (and 1/4 the kids in the class): "Have what? Where?"
N: "That Stanford flag."
Me (and half the kids in the class): "Why?"
[Here I'm expecting him to say that he's a Cal fan or something like that]
N: "Because I have one"
Me (and about 3/4 of the kids in the class): "And?"
N: "I had one first."
Me (and now pretty much the whole class): "And?"
N: "Actually I have two."

N. is totally that six-year old who finds out that his friend has the new G.I. Joe and has to make sure that everyone knows that he has twenty G.I. Joes and the new G.I. Joe dream house and everything's special edition so nobody else can ever get it, ever.

At least the rest of my class has matured beyond age six and is now averaging closer to eleven.

4 comments:

Jen said...

This totally cracked me up. Now the real question is, does Nick have Stanford aspirations?

Jaya said...

Hmm...Longy doesn't have pennants, but I'll see if I can snag you one from Chatham. I'll bet nobody in your class has one of those. :)

Now I'm picturing G.I. Joe's dream house--with built-in rifle range and beer fridge.

Credit said...

Good thing he doesn't realize that its the Michigan pennant that is the real cool one ;-)

talda said...

lol @ gi joe dream house. if you're looking for more pennants i can try to scoop up a st. mary's one!